If you are using a Netgear wireless router or just about any router, you understand how important it is for you to keep the firmware updated at all times. Keeping in mind the threat to information stored on your server systems and the computer itself, it becomes important to always stay one step ahead.
Updating the Netgear router Firmware manually will allow you to access websites securely and the router to function properly.
Through this blog, we will be discussing some methods using which you can update your router firmware easily.
Upgrading/Updating your Netgear router firmware manually
If you are looking to download a specific firmware version, you will need to download the same manually. Follow the simple instructions that follow:
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Netgear router to the computer system.
- Open the web browser of your choice like Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or any, and visit the official Netgear support page on their website.
- Once the support page opens, enter your Netgear router details like the router model number and the product name. The page will display all the information related to your router model.
- Now, click on the downloads button.
- Select the latest firmware version you are looking to download and click on the Download button.
- The latest Netgear firmware version will get downloaded as a compressed .zip extension file. The next that follows is to decrypt the same.
- Once the download and decryption process is complete, open your web browser and enter routerlogin.net to open the login page.
- Enter the router credentials like the admin username and password.
- Now, select Advanced> Admin or Settings> Administration
- Select Firmware update or Router update, whatsoever is being displayed.
- Click on Choose file or Browse to locate the firmware file that is with a .img or .chk extension.
- Click on the update button.
Once you click on the Update button, avoid going online, or turning the router off, or anything until the router restarts itself. Once the Netgear wireless router firmware update/upgrade is complete in about two minutes, the router device will automatically restart to run with even-more efficiency.
Troubleshooting issues with Netgear Router firmware update
While you are trying so hard to upgrade the firmware of your Netgear router, you may face issues that need quick troubleshooting. Below are some steps you can follow if you face these issues.
- Check the power cords and ports to confirm that it isn’t causing the device to reset.
- Check if your router is receiving internet signals or not.
- Check if you have access to default gateway IP address.
- Try disabling third party security software until the firmware update is installed completely.
- Check for any viruses and malicious software.
The final word
Updating the Netgear firmware manually can be a tough job. Not all upgrades work on every router, even when they arrive from the same manufacturer. Get help updating your Netgear router firmware. Leave us a message for insights into more helpful updates.